A HISTORY IN STONE
Morton Memorial has a lengthy history on Monteagle Mountain. Throughout the early 1800’s, Methodists were spreading throughout the Southeast from the Carolinas westward through Tennessee. The earliest record available of Morton Memorial Church, in 1880, shows the church to be on a charge with Summerfield, Pelham and Layne’s Cove. Apparently these churches were the first Methodist churches in the area.
The deeds show that the land on which Morton Memorial was erected was purchased in two lots. The first lot was purchased in 1895 from Robert and Elizabeth Riddle for $100. Second lot was purchased the next year in 1896 from Robert and Elizabeth Riddle for $140. Will Richmond, Sr. came from Sequatchie Valley to work on the construction. He married married Mandy Tucker. Both the Tuckers and the Richmond’s were staunch Methodists. Together they were building the Methodist Church from wood on the lot where the rock church now stands. Addie Hoss, wife of North Carolina Bishop E.E. Hoss, interrupted and wanted the church build of the mountain stone. A new plan was secured, and finally, the stone church was started in 1897. It was on the last Sunday in August 1904 when the Bishop E. E. Hoss dedicated Morton Memorial Methodist Church in memory of David Morton, who was the first Secretary of the Church Extension Board of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
For years, the sanctuary was the only building that Morton Memorial had. The need for an educational building was obvious. Those needs were finally met with the building of the two-story block structure behind the sanctuary. The first floor has classrooms, the pastor's office, a kitchen, and dining area. On the second floor is a full-size gymnasium. In 2018, Morton Memorial consecrated a 3300-square-foot addition - a Fellowship Center - with handicapped restrooms, a commercial kitchen and extra storage (both dry, refrigerated and freezer) creating much-needed space for the monthly food ministry, fellowship meals, and community events. Though the total cost was more than $1 million, generous donors combined efforts to allow for 80% of the debt to be paid immediately by the time the building addition was finished. The same stone used in the original building was used in the addition.
Rev. Jodi McCullah
Elizabeth K. Masters
Rev. Jodi McCullah is an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, serving Morton Memorial since July 2018. In ministry since 1996 and a graduate of Vanderbilt Divinity School, she moved here after most recently serving as the campus minister at Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tennessee for eleven years. While there, Rev. McCullah founded a nonprofit to provide free counseling to combat veterans and their families stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Elizabeth McMasters runs the day to day operations for the church including managing the master calendar, preparing and distributing our monthly newsletter, weekly email announcements, weekly worship bulletin, and records and reports required by The Tennessee Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. Elizabeth handles all inquiries for aid and manages the Pastor's Discretionary Fund. She is the first face most people see when they visit Morton Memorial.
Rich Wyckoff is a retired executive for Burger King Corporation, and in 2006 became president and COO of a 27-restaurant franchise based in Huntsville, Alabama. A part-time resident of Monteagle since 2005, he moved to the Plateau full-time in 2014. Rich is the current Vice Chair of the South Cumberland Community Fund, a Rotarian with the Monteagle-Sewanee Rotary Club and is an active volunteer with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Music and Choral Director
Food Ministry Director
Dr. Nancy Boone Allsbrook is Professor Emerita at Middle Tennessee State University. She served as professor and coordinator of music education in the MTSU School of Music since 1979 and retired in 2010. Nancy earned the B.S. degree from Tennessee Wesleyan College, the M.S. from the University of Tennessee, and the Ed. D. from the University of Illinois. She has lived in Monteagle since 2010.
A native of this area, Amy Jones Wilson has run the Morton Memorial Food Ministry since 2013, supervising as many as 30 volunteers. The food ministry regularly provides two weeks of food to as many as 130 families a month, operating on grants and donations. She works with the Chattanooga Area Food Bank, and Amy also is the owner of the Marugg Company, the oldest scythe handle factory in the US, established in 1873 and located in Tracy City, Tennessee.